29.11.12

mulberry

A friend left these on my desk at work a little while back.

I didn't know it but there was a mulberry tree just across the road. I ran outside to get more. There was something totally magical about plucking those ripe berries from the tree, having the vivid, juice run down my arms. I was back in childhood land, to red-stained faces and keeping silkworms.

I've been trying to feel more connected to nature in recent months. There is something about bare feet on grass, touching the leaves on my little rescued crab-apple tree, watering a gifted money plant.

Not many berries on the tree now, they've all fallen off, but the memories remain.

...

6 comments:

Jane @ Shady Baker said...

Lovely words as always Georgia! Getting more in touch with nature is always a good thing isn't it? Those mulberries look so juicy. I have been experimenting with mulberry muffins lately, very purple but yummy!

Georgia said...

Thanks Jane, and mulberry muffins sound delicious! I ended up making a few crumbles with mine:)

Missy Piggy said...

Love Mulberry's. When I was in Grade 6 I painted my white sports shoes purple with mulberry's that I'd picked off a local tree...just because it seemed like such a good idea.

Monica said...

yum yum yum! and right across the road too.
can't remember the last time that i had mulberries.

Lauren said...

This post made me so nostalgic. As a kid, we had a mulberry tree growing in our frontyard and we loved picking them and coming back into the house with purple arms and faces. We had silk worms a few times too and fed them the leaves. My parents eventually decided to cut the tree down though because they didn't like the purple bird droppings on our car all the time... :(

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

I too have great childhood memories of mulberries. Thank you for taking me back.